Nov 16, 2013

MY SUPERVISOR

As I was googling for the contact of my supervisor to be my referee for promotion, I came across his obituary. I am saddened to read about the untimely death of my late doctoral supervisor Prof. Dr. I. K. A. Howard. He was meticulously thorough in his supervision. I worked under him for nearly three years from September 1992 to November 1995. He treated me with affection and respect. He smoked pipe and occasionally cigars with his signature dark coffee which he offers to his supervisees. For me he would make tea and we would start reading the work. Dr. Howard has a special liking for Malaysians, as he grew up in Malaya during his early part of his life following his late father who was a colonial administrator in Malaya. He used to sing whenever he meets a Malaysian the famous "Rasa Sayang" and clapped his hands. In fact he was the one who introduced me to my wife, who was his supervisee as well and told me what big distance is there between Singapore and Malaysia? I join my wife in expressing our heartfelt condolence to the family of our dear supervisor and a great friend Dr. Ian Keith Anderson Howard. He was indeed a very good human being and a great supervisor. While remembering him a word must be mentioned of my co-supervisor Prof. Dr. M. V. McDonald a soft spoken gentleman, who used to live alone in his apartment away from his family. He too passed away few years earlier. I am deeply indebted to their sincere dedication in shaping my academic future.

READ: I K A HOWARD

1 comment:

  1. السلام عليكم ورحة الله وبركاته
    أين أنت يا دكتور هذه الايام؟؟

    ReplyDelete